Living Benefit Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
Although the illnesses covered vary from one insurer to another, the following illnesses are generally covered:
- Heart attack
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Organ transplant
- Kidney failure
Provides a tax-free lump sum, typically 30 days after a diagnosis of a critical illness. Unlike disability insurance, your claim is based on a diagnosis and NOT your ability to work or not.
Individual Health Insurance
Long Term Care
This insurance protects you financially if you are unable to care for yourself due to chronic disease, disability, cognitive impairment or any other age-related condition that prevents you from performing certain daily tasks without assistance. It can cover stays in nursing homes and chronic care facilities or home care.
There are two main types of long-term care insurance programs:
- The first type reimburses eligible expenses set out by the plan (for example, housekeeper or private nursing) and incurred for a particular day, up to a maximum amount determined in advance.
- The second type provides for payment of a benefit whose amount is predetermined. In this case, the periodic benefit (monthly or weekly) can be used as you see fit. It can be used to finance the care received in a facility or at home, or to compensate a family member for providing care.
Medical Health Care
Insurance tailor-made and suited to your budget which reimburses health costs typically covered by group insurance: dental expenses, vision care, alternative medicine, etc.
Health insurance reimburses your health expenses not covered by government plans (dental expenses, vision care, etc.).
It also meets your needs if:
- You do not have group insurance
- You are self-employed
It covers the following benefits and features:
- Semi-private hospital room accommodation
- Prescription drugs (in Quebec, in addition to the general health insurance plan)
- Nursing and ambulance services
- Therapeutic equipment, such as orthotics and prostheses
- Services of health care professionals, such as physiotherapists, chiropractors, homeopaths and psychologists
- Dental care